16 December 2011

Getting to know… Nicola Adamson, Communications Consultant

What is your career background?
I studied a BSc Hons degree in Communication, Advertising and Marketing at the University of Ulster, Jordanstown. During my studies I completed a work placement in the Sports Centre at the University as a PR and Marketing executive. I enjoyed my placement so much that I continued to work there part-time during my final year of study and for another year on completion of my degree. After three months travelling in South East Asia I joined the Morrow Communications team in October 2007.

What was your first job and how much were you paid?
My first job was working as a part time checkout operative in Tesco during my last two years at school. From memory I think I got paid about £5/hr plus time and a half on Sunday – which was a great incentive to work some extra hours!

Have you ever had a job you hated?
I don’t think I’ve ever had a job I really didn’t like, although I did work as a waitress for a short stint in a coffee shop and I must admit having to take plates back to the chef with customer complaints wasn’t one of my favourite tasks!

What was your first success?
My first success is a tough one…as two occasions stand out from my childhood. The first was winning a silver medal for Speech & Drama at the Holywood Festival when I was 7. My Granny and Granda were with me and seeing how proud they were of me when I received my medal was very special! The second was ballet dancing on stage at the Grand Opera House when I was 10…all the butterflies back stage were definitely worth it and my Dad met me at the stage door with a bouquet of flowers.

What business figure(s) do you most admire?
I have to say the late, great and original TV chef Keith Floyd. From cooking skits in the early 80s he evolved into a brand, achieving cult status, producing TV series, DVDs and writing cookery books to global acclaim, while paving the way for the current generation of celebrity chefs.

Have you ever made a mistake and if so what did you learn from it?
Growing up I often heard the old adage, ‘the man that never made a mistake, never made anything!’ I have always taken heart from that phrase and also that as long as you do your best that’s all you can do. I always try my best in both my personal and work life and if I do make a mistake, which I’m sure I have in my 27 years, being open and honest is always best.

What is the most valuable piece of advice you have ever been given?
Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself!

What one item would you take with you to a desert island and why?
I think it would have to be a phone with a never-ending battery and unbroken network coverage. Truthfully I would offer my place on the island to someone else because I would miss my friends and family too much!

What has been your biggest financial extravagance?
It has to be my first car, a sliver Clio – I did have second thoughts about a shopping spree and a dream holiday as I handed over the money!

Do you have a business mantra?
Again I would have to say treat others as you want to be treated yourself…also making a good first impression is crucial in business.

What items do you always carry with you?
BlackBerry and a supply of makeup…just in case!

When will you retire?
Not for a very long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment