2 August 2012

Getting to know… Karen Hoey, Events Manager

What is your career background?
I studied BA Hons in Hospitality and Tourism Management in Edinburgh. During my course placement I worked within Rocco Forte’s flagship Balmoral Hotel learning the ropes and following graduation I stayed at the hotel for a further 3 years working within group reservations and events.

I then moved to Glasgow and worked for the G1 Group, a leisure company with over 40 venues as Sales & Events Manager. I absolutely loved this job and some of my favorite events included organising Armani’s first fashion show outside London in 10 years, numerous events for the (then) Bank of Scotland Premier League as well as film premiers and corporate events. I then moved back to Belfast and joined Morrows events team in 2007!

What was your first job and how much were you paid?
When I was 16 I worked as a silver service waitress within the McMaster Restaurant at the Stormont Hotel in Belfast. It was hard work and involved working on Friday and Saturday nights but was great fun as I worked with a brilliant team! I can’t quite remember how much I was paid as it was a “few” years ago but it may have been around £4.00 an hour.

Have you ever had a job you hated?
Actually, no I haven’t. I’ve been very lucky and have always had jobs that I’ve enjoyed!

What was your first success?
I was an avid horse rider when I was young so I think my first success would have been winning my first rosette in a gymkhana at my local riding school when I was about 10. My pony was called Punch and it was a jumping competition!

What business figure(s) do you most admire?
Most people associate Sir Bob Geldof with the Boomtown Rats and Live Aid however he is the founder and non executive director of the hugely successful Ten Alps PLC whose portfolio includes communications, media, vision and publishing.

Bob spoke at the Belfast Media Festival which Morrows managed in 2010 and he was really down to earth, extremely passionate about his business and is hugely supportive of the creative industries in Northern Ireland.

I also take my hat off to Victoria Beckham. Not only has she grown brand Beckham into a global name, she has defied the critics and produced a fashion line that is receiving acclaim from the highest level within the industry. Girl power indeed!

Have you ever made a mistake and if so what did you learn from it?
Mistakes are a learning curve and whether in business or in your personal life it is how you manage them that’s important. Nobody’s perfect and I think it’s essential to be open, honest and to deal with it.

What is the most valuable piece of advice you have ever been given?
If you want to achieve something you have to do it yourself - you have to make it happen.

What one item would you take with you to a desert island and why?
A laptop with a built in dongle and everlasting battery. This would allow me to keep in touch with everyone, listen to all my favorite music while I book a helicopter and await the flight home.

What has been your biggest financial extravagance?
Apart from my house and cars probably holidays.

Do you have a business mantra?
Be open, honest and listen. Also, a firm handshake is a must.

What items do you always carry with you?
I tend to carry a lot as I love large handbags however lip salve and my phone are absolutely essential!

When will you retire?
Unless I win the lottery retirement is a long way off!

No comments:

Post a Comment