5 August 2011

Getting to know… Kate Finn, Audio Visual Production & Design Manager

What is your career background? I studied BA Hons in Combined Studies in Visual Communications and Lens Based Fine Art at UU Art College in Belfast. Following my graduation I worked as an in house Graphic Designer for Dekko and then South Eastern Regional Colleges. I then worked as a Freelance Graphic Designer and Video Producer before joining Morrow Communications AV production team in January 2011.

What was your first job and how much were you paid? When I was at University I worked as a part-time sales Advisor at local furniture retail store, Dekko and I think I was paid about £4/hr.

Have you ever had a job you hated? I once worked in a call centre for half a day in Australia and it was horrendous, we basically had to work our way through the Yellow Pages and nobody understood my accent. It wasn’t for me and I called it a day. I decided that there was more to Australia than a call centre!

What was your first success? This one is a bit of a head scratcher. I guess success is always relative - I was fortunate to be involved in swimming when I was growing up. I had a number of successes and was lucky enough to compete for Ulster and Ireland, so I guess that would have been my first taste of success and personal achievement.

What business figure(s) do you most admire? Aaron Sorkin – the Godfather of fast moving American drama. Screenwriter, producer and playwright, his works include The West Wing, Sports Night, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and The Social Network.

Have you ever made a mistake and if so what did you learn from it? Mistakes are an important part of learning and growing and along the way you get better at dealing with them. I think it’s really important to communicate with all parties at all times and be honest, nobody is perfect so it’s best to own up as soon as you realise your mistake.

What is the most valuable piece of advice you have ever been given? Do one thing every day that scares you.

What one item would you take with you to a desert island and why? A phone (with everlasting battery)… It’s good to talk!

What has been your biggest financial extravagance? Probably getting married and honeymoon. It was well worth it though, I loved every minute!

Do you have a business mantra? Treat everyone equally!

What items do you always carry with you? Asthma Inhaler, Touche Eclat, little tube of Aloe Vera and my iPhone.

When will you retire? I’m far too young to be thinking about that just yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment